Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cinnamon Buns

This conference weekend we were able to chillax as a family, which was SO nice.  Last week seemed never-ending with all of the things we had to do.  Only having one car puts a damper on when I can run my errands, so our weeknights and weekends are packed with doing those errands or running the kids around to the various things they have going on.  
So, sorry about the ranting there, getting back to the original point of this post ;).  This conference weekend we were stoked because we all knew that Sunday morning we would be able to partake of the most delicious breakfast:  monkey brains.  Now if you don't know what "monkey brains" are it's a type of dessert/breakfast dish made with frozen bread and lots of sugary goodness.  You bake it in the oven and partake of it with yummy cream cheese frosting.  We started this tradition because Alain's family always had cinnamon rolls on Sunday morning conference.  His mom would make homemade cinnamon rolls and everyone would veg-out watch conference.  I, however, am not a great homemaker, so I always bought Cinnabon buns.  This got too expensive, so I started making monkey brains (which taste just like a cinnamon roll, just made in a bundt pan).  Fast forward to this last weekend... and we are tight on money.  This meant I wouldn't be able to spend the $ on Rhodes Rolls (because I'm cheap trying to make more things from scratch to help with my homemaking skills).  I had the grand idea to make my own cinnamon rolls.  Wow, was it an adventure!!  My great friend Liz gave me a recipe that she said was great, so I forged ahead.  After about 6 hours, I had homemade cinnamon rolls, and they weren't that bad!  I'm feeling a lot better about my bread baking skills, so I've got a lot more recipes I'm going to try.  Hopefully they'll be even better than my now infamous Conference Cinnamon Rolls :)
Doesn't that look deeelicious?!

1 comment: