Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Condomints (yes, I meant to spell it that way)

We were at one of our family's favorite stores last Friday night (Costco!), and as we were waiting in the check-out line, Logan (our 10 year old) and I had a conversation that went something like this:

Logan:  Mom, did you know I have to watch something called a puberty video this year?
Me:  Yes, I did hear that.  (I heard from another mom that they teach the kids how to masturbate.  Not happy with that one.)
Logan:  Yeah, one of my friends said that they're going to hand out condomints.  What are condomints?
Me:  (OMG)  Interesting.  We'll have to talk about this later.

First of all, I don't think it's okay for the ABQ school districts to MAKE our children watch this video.  From hearsay, they do not allow the parents to opt out of their child seeing the video.  Alain and I want to be able to talk to Logan about these sorts of things, which of course we'll do before he watches the video at school.  I am very torn between my 10 year old son needing to know about masturbating and condomints (condoms for those a little bit slower).  I know he's going to find out sooner rather than later.  I guess I just want to keep him young forever.  

Does anybody out there have any advice to give me about this?  How do we have this conversation with our 10 year old?  Should we tell him EVERYTHING (even about condomints)?

2 comments:

  1. I would say better from you than from his peers...who may get things a little jumbled up. We have talked to our 10 year old about it and if you tell him matter-of-factly, they aren't all that interested. Plus, when their friends start talking about it, he will know and won't feel the curiosity that he would if he didn't know. That's what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra! First of all, I miss you. Second of all, I am horrified that your school is doing that. I hate that our 10 year olds are growing up. I'm totally in the same boat as you, and I am dragging my feet. I haven't talked to Maddie about anything, and I think about it everyday. Should we set a date and do it on the same day? Then we could chat about it :) Do you still have your cell #? I need to call you and see how life in NM is. Oh, and Ty is getting HUGE! Seriously?? He needs to play mini-football!

    ReplyDelete